Thursday, January 28, 2010

Today's Fromage Savage: Bellwether Farms' San Andreas



Purchased from Serpentine restaurant, San Francisco

Type: Firm

Teat: Sheep's milk (raw)

Trappings: Crusty bread slices, Sicilian almonds, pear slices, some sort of apricot-y/peachy compote-like stuff

Taste: Hrmph.

It's a good thing this came accompanied by Sicilian almonds, because they're pretty tasty.

In fairness, I don't think the problems here--mealy texture, taste approximating what I imagine a mouthful of soft chalk to be like--can be attributed to Bellwether Farms. I actually think something went awry in Serpentine's kitchen, which bums me out on a whole different level, because the restaurant is usually amazing and was more than up to par last night, until what I may henceforth remember as The Great Cheese Disaster of 2010. This cheese smelled and tasted like the wedge had been cut hours--possibly days--earlier, and then stuck somewhere to dry out and pick up the various and sundry smells and tastes of a commercial kitchen. It was like eating from the box of baking soda in the back of my fridge.

I'm told that the San Andreas is supposed> to be creamy and smooth with a tangy finish, all of which sounds delectable to me. I probably should have known something was wrong with this particular portion when I inspected it up close and saw that it looked almost crumbly, like a cheddar.



This has been a blow to us here at Fromage Savage--it's ruined our practically perfect record of tasting really good cheeses. And while I'm not quite ready to burn this motherfucker down, Pookie, I was still feeling rather crotchety about the whole debacle this morning when I checked my mailbox at work and found...



Awesome anonymous cheese t-shirt gift arrives the morning after tragic cheese-tasting incident.

Coincidence? I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment